Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Understanding Scripture

We have several Bibles in our house. My Daddy's Good News version, the big, elaborately beautiful King James family Bible, Grandma's King James, and my first Bible given to all 3rd graders by the Methodist Church. The one I use all the time is the NIV Life Application Study Bible. The modern language is so much easier for me to understand, along with the comentary, historical background and maps make this a much more used book. In fact, my husband was reading mine so often, I bought him his own copy last year.

A recent scripture in my calendar had me nodding my head thinking, "oh that's so nice."
 "Are Not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of the them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs on  your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows." KJV Luke 12: 6-7

Then I thought, "what exactly is meant by that?" I pulled out my trusty Life Application Bible and looked at the commentary. "Our true value is God's estimate of our worth, not our peers'. Other people evaluate and categorize us according to how we perform, what we achieve,and how we look. But God cares for us, as he does for all of his creatures, because we belong to him. So we can face life without fear."
That makes this piece of scripture infinitely more meaningful to me. Perhaps it will  to you as well.

God Bless



No comments:

Post a Comment