Friday, March 27, 2015

Getting Even

Have I mentioned how much I like the Life Application Study Bible? The notes help me understand so much better. Here is a great example.

"These verses summarize the core of Christian Living. If we love someone the way Christ loves us, we will be willing to forgive. If we have experienced God’s grace, we will want to pass it on to others. And remember, Grace is undeserved favor. By giving the enemy a drink, we’re not excusing his misdeeds. We’re recognizing him, forgiving him, and loving him in spite of his sins – just as Christ did for us." (NIV Life Application Study Bible Notes)

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Romans 12:17-21

You know, I have really struggled with forgiveness, especially when someone is continually being unkind to me. Once and done, I can forgive and forget easily enough. However, ongoing unkindness has been very hard for me to forgive. Okay, if I’m being completely honest, impossible to forgive. I can really hold a grudge. After retiring and slowing down my life a few years ago, I said to myself I really gotta stop that. It’s not easy though is it? As a kid, I was told a thousand times to ‘turn the other cheek.’ I can still hear Mom and Grandma’s voices in my head. Guess that lesson didn’t stick too well. Hmmm maybe it did, I just chose not to listen. I’m workin’ on it now though. How about you? Do you forgive as well as you’d like?

No comments:

Post a Comment